Ghana: GridCo’s 11.5KV Power Feeder Destroyed by Fire

Tamale, NR, November 21, 2017//-A late evening fire outbreak at the premises of the Ghana Grid Company (GridCo) in Tamale in the Northern Region has left one of the company’s 11.5KV power feeders destroyed.

The incident caused a total blackout within the entire Tamale Metropolis for about an hour Monday, TV3’s Zubaida Ismail reported.

Power has since been restored. The fire was said to have started from an electric pole within the company’s premises and spread through the distribution lines to the feeder room, resulting in a thick smoke, our correspondent reported.

The timely intervention by the personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service from the Sagnarigu District Fire Station averted what would have been a massive disaster to the power distributor.

Workers of GRIDCo were said to have tried to extinguish the fire with fire extinguish but the situation got out of hand but the fire personnel managed to get to the scene in about five minutes to bring the situation under control.

“[When] we got here, the place was totally engulfed in thick smoke and the fire was so tensed we had to make a forceful entry; we had to break the main door,” the Sagnarigu District Fire Commander Assistant Divisional Officer, Aduguba Newton, told TV3.

He said his men had to break the windows in the affected area to allow the smoke to go out before they could bring the situation under control and eventually extinguished the fire five minutes after.

“All in all, my men did very well and the fire has been contained and the situation is back to normal,” he told our correspondent. Management of GridCo were unable to tell the extent of damage immediately but said the the 11.5KV feeder has been burnt.

3news.com

 

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Village Pixels