At Long Last! Ghana FA President Kwesi Nyantakyi Resigns

GFA President, Kwesi Nyantakyi

Accra, Ghana, June 8, 2018//-The embattled President of the Ghana Football Association, Kwesi Nyantakyi has finally resigned from his post.

His resignation follows barely hours after the world football governing body, FIFA banned him for 90 days.

The GFA President came under investigation from the Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) of the Ghana Police Service after President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo reported him.

The First Vice President of the Confederation of African Football (Caf) had been captured in a secret Anas, ace investigative journalist’s  documentary in which Mr Nyantakyi  was using the names of the president, his vice, and other government officials to beguile some investors.

But after the documentary film was shown to the public at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) at a two-day premiere, the government of Ghana took immediate steps to dissolve the country’s football-governing body.

 

Here is Nyantakyi’s statement:

“After a meeting of the Executive Committee this afternoon I decided to resign as President of the Ghana Football Association”.

“It stemmed out of the controversies generated by investigative report of Tiger Eye PI. In the said report I committeed a series of errors of indiscretion. I gravely associated the highest office of the land –the presidency- with private discussions I had with “Scammers” who deceived me into thinking they were genuine persons interested in investing in our country.”

“I hereby apologise unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video.”

“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.”

“I wish to apologise to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment my indiscretion has caused them. This is by no means an admission of wrong doing for issues on the video”, Mr. Nyantakyi said in a statement sent to the GFA General Secretary on Friday.

The GFA will soon announce further developments on this situation.

Meanwhile, the Ghana Football Association has postponed all football matches in the country until further notice.

A statement on the association’s website said: “This is as a result of a directive from the government of Ghana.”

“In effect, the MTN FA Cup Round of 32 matches and the Sanford Women’s FA Cup Round of 16 games will not come off as scheduled,” a statement added.

The GFA is currently under fire because some of its top officials and referees were captured in a documentary by investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, taking bribes to fix matches.

African Eye Report

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Village Pixels