April 3, 2019//-A team from Fenix International Inc. called on Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni at State House Nakasero to discuss the relocation of the company’s global headquarters and expanding energy access.
Fenix International, a next-generation energy company and subsidiary of ENGIE operates in five countries in Africa.
Fenix relocated global headquarters from San Francisco to Kampala in September of 2018 to invest in and help grow the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Uganda, to center their operations as close to their rural, off-grid customers as possible, and to catalyze an ambitious pan-African expansion plan.
The team used the 30th March 2019 meeting to engage the President on renewable energy sector opportunities and measures necessary to expand access and affordability of solar home systems, accessories and appliances.
The President was also updated on the expanding contributions that Fenix International is making in the lives of millions of Ugandans through its life changing products and contributions to Uganda’s economy.
Lyndsay Handler, CEO of Fenix, said, “President Museveni’s commitment to improving energy access in Uganda was made clear today, with his promise to strengthen the environment for doing business and to pursue interventions that make Solar Home Systems, accessories, and appliances affordable to millions of Ugandans”
Morrison Rwakakamba, Global Senior Director of Policy at Fenix, added “We look forward to working with the President, energy ministry and sector agencies to create a set of policies and actions that will allow Uganda to become the worldwide leader in clean, renewable energy for millions off-grid households. This will indeed accelerate transformation”.
President Museveni reaffirmed commitment to Fenix and support to expand energy access, drive sector innovations and deepen financial services. He asked Fenix to encourage other global and scale companies to set up global headquarters in Uganda.
With establishment of global headquarters in Uganda, Fenix International has delivered on the following:
- Fenix provides high quality employment with training programs, health insurance, savings schemes, and career growth opportunities to over 450 full-time Ugandans and over 1,500 commission-based agents in every district of Uganda.
- Fenix has built world-class software and hardware engineering and operations teams in Uganda and is training many recent Ugandan engineering graduates.
- Fenix has established a solar home system kitting, quailty assurance, and repair center in Luzira.
- Fenix has connected more than 350,000 homes in Uganda to date with affordable, clean energy solutions – translating into 1.5 million citizens that now benefit from clean, renewable access to energy.
- Fenix made over 160,000 electricity connections in 2018 alone (800,000 people) and projects to connect another 250,000 households in 2019 (1,000,000 people).
- Fenix is determined to expand its footprint in Uganda and Africa through a strengthened partnership with the government of Uganda and collaboration with energy sector stakeholders.
African Eye Report